Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What does 'Casual' mean to you?

Have you ever noticed that there are some people who, when dressed casually, look they just rolled out of bed, and others who look as if they are meeting with the President?

The meaning of “casual” is so wildly varied that it’s almost impossible to mention without qualifiers.  You know, when you add on: no jeans, t-shirts, or tennis shoes…

I think I yearn for a simpler time, (in my mind) of when wardrobes were less varied, it was ok to wear the same good dress every Sunday and couples dressed UP for dates.  Something like the 50’s, maybe? 
When I think of the 50’s, I think of ladies who were perfectly coiffed, dressed for an unexpected important visitor at any time.  Ladies who, when dressed down still look better than 90% of the “business casual” wearers today. 

What was it that caused the change? Women’s lib? Bra-Burning? Working outside the home? It seems that the more “equal” women get to men, the worse we strive to look.  Comfort replaces style, and then style grows to be comfort. 

Remember a couple years ago when the matching track suits were all the rage? In every imaginable shade of velour, they were considered “dressy”.  Seriously, when in the world can a SWEAT SUIT be considered dressy?

Don’t get me wrong, as I type this I’m wearing a… well, let’s just call it the “bottom feeder of comfort clothes”. But it doesn’t mean that I don’t yearn for days when you wouldn’t DARE wear athletic clothes without an athletic event you were participating in.  I blame society; that it has become the norm rather than the exception to dress down, and casual is now the name of the game.

Since they vary so widely, what does “casual” mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment